Saturday, 18 June 2016

New Life?

"Being the only person of a particular race in my class, I was often insulted, called names and criticised with vulgarities or derogatory terms. It was not easy, going to school day after day, only to be told that I was smelly and dirty. I was even made into a disease, a virus they gave a name to. Nobody dared to touch me in fear of getting my “virus”, and though it started out as childish fun, it soon got out of hand as I was excluded from projects and ridiculed. Imagine being looked down by your fellow classmates as “filthy”, or hearing them snicker behind your back about the colour of your skin; it was enough to upset anyone. There were nights where I simply could not fall asleep, instead passing the hours by wondering what I did wrong to be treated in such an inhumane way. I wondered why my family would move to such a hostile country, wondered why the colour of my skin mattered more than who I was inside. I was excluded, alone, and so very afraid that my whole life would be like this. I did not want to be considered different, to always be the “unclean” one. I felt angry with them yet desperately wanting to be accepted by those who did nothing but discriminate me. I hated them, hated myself, and found myself wary of everyone and anyone.


I am sharing my story in hopes that the racial minorities in Singapore will know that they are not alone. So the next time someone makes you feel inferior for your skin colour, ask yourself this: who is truly the inferior one? Is it you, because of your ethnicity; or is it them, for their prejudice, petty and childish behaviour, and their intolerance towards other races?
I also hope that those who have been discriminating others because of their ethnicity would take a step back to reflect and stop their childish behaviour because as much as it was a joke, it hurt your friends feelings, too."

Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment